Gentle Introduction into Genetics

Roman

Geneticist
Staff member
Dear friends, I'm starting a series of posts about genetics' mechanisms in our game. After all, we will have the opportunity to pair unicorns and get offsprings, which will inherit the genetic information of the parents. Each of us can become a breeder of unicorns, carrying out selection of horses with the most interesting properties. Agree with me, that this is extremely interesting and, perhaps, even useful for the budget.

To tell the truth, the genetic model of the game was designed by Artificial Intelligence, so we ourselves do not fully know what is there and how, what mechanisms and formulas are used to obtain descendants, the manifestation of genes into the phenotype and all that. But we did a lot of research to give you a better understanding than we had when we just started our research. So read carefully. This is the first note from several that I will give to teach you the basics of genetics.

Each unicorn has two genetic chains, called chromosomes. There are genes on each chromosome, the number of which we have identified as 36. We found 1 gene responsible for the unicorn race, 2 genes responsible for recovery rates after mating and competition, 5 genes responsible for physical characteristics and 10 genes responsible for appearance. The appointment of other genes is still unknown. Each gene has two alleles — one on each of the chromosomes. In other words, the unicorn receives one gene's allele from one parent, and the other from another. It is very similar to the inheritance takes place on Earth. Alleles of any gene other than the race gene can take a value from 0 to 255.

A very big problem is the manifestation of genes into a phenotype. So far we have only realized that different genes can have different ways of converting a number from 0 to 255 into a physical value or an appearance property. Two things are clear. First, only one allele is manifested, which is called dominant (and the other, therefore, is recessive). Secondly, the principle of manifestation is often non-linear. Formulas are not yet known to us, but we continue to carry out our research. Watch the broadcast and get ready to help us in our studies.

Please ask your questions...